Golden Sphinx Moth, 2020
Found objects, laser-cut/etched acrylic and masonite, resin, fiberglass, paint, various hardware
Dome: 6 in (15.24 cm)
Frame: 15.6 in (39.62 cm) round
Priority domestic shipping, international shipping extra
CA residents pay sales tax based on zip code
This delicate moth species had a very short lifespan and was exclusively nocturnal. The highly reflective golden thorax of this creature would reflect the tiniest amount of moon or starlight allowing potential mates to find each other in the dark.
• This is one of my newest explorations into non-cast creatures.
• The creature will be shipped with wing supports/padding; you will need to remove the padding and reassemble the dome unit and frame back. I will provide instructions and help.
• The white cell-textured background behind the creature that I designed was designed in Adobe Illustrator and is laser-etched white acrylic.
• The moth dome module can be removed from the round frame.
• I designed the mechanical/organic frame in Adobe Illustrator, laser-cut the parts and have glued and pinned all layers together.
• The creature is adhered with various adhesives, screws, fiberglass cloth, and epoxy sculpting clay. The wings are coated in clear resin.
• The white dots on the frame are the pin-holes used to align the layers. I enjoyed that small detail when it was complete and choose not to color-match those spots to the frame.
• The outer edges of the frame are hand-painted white to complement the white mat and background around the creature.
• There are slight imperfections in round frames — enough to know they were all assembled, painted, and finished by hand.
• Comes with certificate of authenticity.
All images, concepts, artwork and content ©2020 Lex Talkington. All Rights Reserved.